February 3, 2020…By Megan Byrd, RD – Working Out As A New Mom post contains affiliate links. See full disclosure page for details.
I know working out as a new mom sounds impossible. Believe me, it is NOT EASY.
As a new mom, I’m learning that staying active is really difficult. Having a new baby takes up so much of your life. Heck, doing ANYTHING besides caring for that cute monster takes time, energy, and planning.
Notice a key word there. PLANNING. Without a plan, your gym session might look like this:
Get dressed. Pump some milk in case the baby gets hungry while you’re gone. Drive to the gym. Spend 15 minutes trying to figure out what you’re even going to do there. Spend maybe 30 minutes halfheartedly lifting random weights or run/walking on the treadmill. Commute back home and wonder if it was even worth going at all.
Okay, maybe I’m self-projecting a little here. But I’m speaking from experience.
If you’re going to start working out with a new baby, or trying to accomplish anything for that matter, then you need a PLAN.
I used the app, Aaptiv, to start working out as a new mom.
Aaptiv is the #1 audio-fitness app, and gives you complete access to 2500+ different work outs on your phone. I personally love the treadmill and outdoor running work outs. The strength training ones are great too. I recently started trying out the meditation “work outs”, which have been so relaxing and actually help me sleep after a hard day caring for a baby.
Here’s a list of some of the work out categories and programs available on the Aaptiv app:
- Outdoor Running
- Strength Training
- Indoor Cycling
- Stair Climber
- Run Faster
- Get Stronger
- Reduce Stress <——– MY FAVORITE
- Move Through Maternity
- Summer Bootcamp
- Kettlebell Conditioning
- Race Prep
- Lose Weight
I’ve been using Aaptiv for the last year and half, and as a new mom, I can’t see working out any other way.
Why I love Aaptiv as a new mom:
- All the work outs are planned out for you. I go to the gym and the trainers have the music loaded up and tell me exactly what to do. No mom-brain power required.
- You can work out on your own time. I don’t have to worry about being at an exercise class at a certain time or scheduling anything in advance. Baby asleep? Throw you ear buds in and get a quick work out in at home!
- The variety. There are over 2500 different work outs to choose from, and more added every week. Different song varieties. 20+ personal trainers. Even work out programs and team challenges that you can join in on to keep you motivated.
- Everything is laid out in advance. The app lists the work out type, targeted areas (ex. core, full body, etc), the trainer, the music style, the length, the intensity, any equipment required, videos/photos of the moves, and the ratings other Aaptiv users have given the particular work out.
- I never get bored. The trainers keep it interesting the entire work out. I used to just run on the treadmill on my own while listening to music. Never again. Working out is SO BORING now when I don’t use Aaptiv.
- Aaptiv allows you to save your favorite work outs to a collection, so you can quickly access them anytime.
Pricing and How It Works
Aaptiv has 3 different billing options:
- $14.99/month billed month to month
- $99.99/year billed once annually with a 30-day free trial!
- $399.99 for lifetime membership
My recommendation would be to give the 30 day free trial a chance. If you hate it, you can cancel your subscription at any point before you get charged.
In my opinion, Aaptiv is a really good deal considering how much it has changed the way I work out and what it includes. It has helped me get motivated to work out again after having a baby, which is something that I didn’t realize would be so frightening and uncomfortable post-partum.
What do you have to lose? If you didn’t want to start working out, you wouldn’t be reading this right now!