Super easy and healthy vegan tacos! These plant based tacos call for quinoa and black beans, and will fit easily into your vegan or vegetarian diet!
Is it just me, or does meat just not sound appealing all the time?
About once a week, I like to have a “meatless”, plant based dinner night. I love it because I don’t have to worry about cooking meat and sanitizing every kitchen surface a million times. It helps my family get our fiber in, too!
With that being said, I still have a husband who has to approve. He loves his meat, but is not opposed to meatless dinners IF they taste good. haha
Enter vegan tacos. 🙂
Healthy Vegan Tacos
One of the best things about this plant based recipe is that it is sooooo healthy. The quinoa and black beans are loaded with fiber, so these things will keep you full all evening.
These vegan tacos are also loaded with healthy fats from the avocado oil and the quinoa. Healthy fats are great for keeping you full, and they’re also really good for growing babies who need more fat for healthy development.
RELATED: Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
One thing I love about this recipe is that the plant based taco meat is totally freezer friendly. If I have leftovers, I simply store it in a freezer-safe, air tight container, label and date it, and freeze it for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to use it, simply microwave it straight from frozen and serve it up! It’s so easy, and tastes virtually the same as it does fresh from the skillet.
RELATED: Freezer Friendly Vegetarian Southwest Quinoa Casserole
This recipe is probably the cheapest meal I’ve posted on my blog so far. You really can’t beat it for only $1.01 per serving! The total of the recipe comes to $6.06, but it makes 6 servings! Winning!
At my house, we ALWAYS have leftovers after I make this. So we usually have it for lunch the next day. But, like I said earlier, you can freeze the leftovers and have it again another night when you don’t feel like cooking.
You’ll notice that vegan tacos recipe only calls for 1/2 cup of canned, petite diced tomatoes. If you want to save some money and don’t want to waste the rest of the can, you can simply freeze the rest of the tomatoes in an air tight container to use for later.
Another money-saving tip for these tacos is to make your own vegetable broth with veggie scraps. Grab that recipe here.
These plant based, vegan tacos are totally husband approved, and even my little 1 year old eats them! Your family will love them too, I promise!
Vegan Tacos w/Quinoa and Black Beans
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 red or green bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 can black beans drained, rinsed, and mashed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup canned petite diced tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can green chilies
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 12 corn tortillas
- shredded lettuce
- vegan sour cream
- fresh limes and lime juice
- Rinse quinoa under cold water in a fine mesh colander to remove any bitterness quinoa naturally has.
- Pour dry quinoa and vegetable broth into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook quinoa until all the liquid is absorbed (about 15 minutes).
- While quinoa is cooking, heat oil on medium heat in a large pot or skillet.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno to the heated skillet. Saute for about 5 minutes, until the onions become translucent and the bell peppers soften.
- Add soy sauce, mashed black beans, minced garlic, diced tomatoes, green chilies, chili powder, cumin, and paprika to the skillet. Saute for another 5 minutes.
- By now, your quinoa should be fully cooked. Add the cooked quinoa straight to your skillet, and stir until well combined with the other ingredients.
- Fill each tortilla with about 1/2 cup of quinoa mixture. Top with toppings and enjoy!
Pin me for later!
If you end up making this and loving it, take a photo and tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your versions of my recipes! And feel free to rate it down below in the comment section. I would really appreciate it!
This recipe is super simple, yet delicious. The quinoa takes on that classic “taco” flavor, making these vegan tacos really satisfying. Have I convinced you to make this for meatless Monday yet?
Tammie Fischer says
So cute m not fond of quinoa but these look pretty amazing. I’ll have to try them! Thanks for sharing the recipe.