One pan mushroom sauce chicken is creamy, healthy, & easy! Made with red wine, chicken broth, & garlic, this is a super simple dinner meal!
How in the world is it the end of August already? Although I’m not ready for fall just yet, I am ready for cozy sweaters and hot meals!
Speaking of hot meals, this recipe is probably one of the easiest, quickest, and most delicious hot meals on The Oregon Dietitian right now. It’s only going to take you about 30 minutes to make this seriously amazing chicken with mushroom sauce!
When I’ve seen other mushroom sauce chicken recipes, I’ve seen a lot of brown meals. I seriously HATE brown meals with a passion. I’m all about eating the rainbow, so I added in a carton of cherry tomatoes and BOOM. Not only do the cherry tomatoes add some beautiful color to this recipe, they also add a little sweetness and some acidity.
Using those summer cherry tomatoes, some fresh thyme and red wine, this mushroom sauce chicken is a great fusion of both summer and fall flavors!
Healthy Mushroom Sauce Chicken
This mushroom sauce chicken recipe uses chicken breasts, which are leaner than thighs. It also calls for avocado oil, which I’ve been using a lot lately. It’s much more mild than olive oil, can be heated to a higher temperature, and honestly, it’s just as healthy.
At first, I was going to use half n half in this recipe, but I had an open jar of full fat coconut milk so I used that instead. I couldn’t taste the difference, and it still made the sauce rich and creamy!
Of course, this recipe has vegetables, and is made with whole, natural ingredients. One thing I just love about this recipe is the fresh tomatoes and mushrooms together. They make such a delicious combination, and definitely make this recipe healthier.
RELATED: Healthy One Pot Mac & Cheese
This recipe works out to be about $8.10 to make, or $2.02 per serving.
You could make this even cheaper by using half n half instead of coconut milk. You could also eliminate the red wine and substitute in more chicken broth. Either of those substitutions may change the flavor slightly, but won’t really affect it much!
This one pan mushroom sauce chicken cooks absolutely PERFECTLY in my Staub fry pan. Not only are Staub products absolutely beautiful, they are sturdy and enamel coated. This makes them so much easier to care for than traditional cast iron skillets. Check out the beautiful Staub fry pan I used for my photos here.
One Pan Mushroom Sauce Chicken w/Cherry Tomatoes
- 3 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ yellow onion diced
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 cup chicken broth low sodium
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes
- Mix together the flour, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Coat the chicken breasts in the flour mixture, covering all sides.
- Heat avocado oil on medium heat in a medium skillet. Cook chicken for about 5 minutes on each side, until it is cooked through. Set chicken aside.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, and onion to the pan. Saute on medium heat until the mushrooms and onion are beginning to soften, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the red wine, broth, coconut milk, and fresh thyme to the skillet. Bring to a simmer on medium heat, scraping up any brown bits in the pan. Add the tomatoes, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Aften 10 minutes, add the chicken back to the pan. Reduce the heat and cook on low for another 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Pin me for later!
If you end up making this and loving it, take a photo and tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your versions of my recipes! And feel free to rate it down below in the comment section. I would really appreciate it!
Are you excited to make this soon? Comment below! I’d love to hear from you 🙂