It’s time for me to get real with you guys. I’m not a dessert person. I know, it’s shocking. I actually like savory things way more. But Tommy (my husband), makes up for that. He loves cake and desserts more than any other food. I truly believe that if he tried hard enough, he could live off cake alone for a few days. So naturally, he’s the one that actually suggested I make a healthy, protein strawberry shortcake (probably so he can eat more of it). lol So yes honey, I’m giving you credit……
Strawberry shortcake is usually LOADED with sugar, and honestly, not my favorite. Probably because the shortcake ends up getting all soggy and gross 5 minutes in. So I created this healthy, low sugar, whole wheat, dairy free, PROTEIN strawberry shortcake just in time for Father’s Day! Plus, it doesn’t get all soggy because the biscuits actually hold up, and there aren’t any sugar syrup bombs on them.
Because this protein strawberry shortcake is made with whole wheat pastry flour, it also has about 5 g of fiber per shortcake! I ate one the other day for breakfast and it kept me full for about 3 hours!
So if you’re looking for a great way to impress your dad on Father’s Day, or just looking for a post-work out snack, this protein strawberry shortcake will do just the trick.
To make it, I used Designer’s Vanilla Totally Egg Protein Powder in the shortcake. I also topped it with CocoWhip topping. So freaking good.
What I love about Designer’s egg protein powder is that it is completely dairy free. So if you have a hard time tolerating whey or casein protein, this is probably the protein powder for you. It’s not chalky or dry tasting, and it honestly smells and tastes like birthday cake.
As for the Cocowhip topping, it’s similar to Cool-Whip except it’s way healthier, super low in sugar, and has a hint of coconut flavor. I found and bought it at Natural Grocer’s, and it’s actually made right here in the Willamette Valley!
Treat your dad on Father’s Day with this protein strawberry shortcake!
- 1 can light coconut milk, shaken
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 t vanilla
- 3 c whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 t baking powder
- 2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t salt
- 3 scoops Designer Vanilla Totally Egg Protein Powder
- 2 lbs strawberries, cored and sliced
- 1 tub CocoWhip Topping or homemade coconut whipped cream
- 1. Add shaken can of light coconut milk to large mixing bowl.
- 2. Add maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk together until well-combined
- 3. Add all dry ingredients to wet mixture and fold together until combined.
- 4. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 5. Scoop 1/2 cup batter servings onto parchment lined baking sheet, leaving 1-2 inches between each shortcake.
- 6. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes.
- 7. Cut shortcakes sandwich style, and top with sliced strawberries and CocoWhip
****Yes, this is a sponsored post. Designer Protein sent me some products to recipe test with and post about, but that was after I declared my love for their protein powder. My opinion is in no way affected by the fact that I received some free stuff. I really do just love this protein powder brand.
Well, there it is. A protein strawberry shortcake perfect for every summer occasion! Try it out before strawberry season ends!